Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dem Dry Bones

I've just finished reading "206 Bones" by Kathy Reichs. I was at Chapters on Sunday, and when I saw the latest Reichs book in trade paperback, I just had to have it. I've always been a big fan of her writing, so I was really looking forward to diving into the latest Tempe Brennan whodunnit. It was going to be the perfect accompaniment to a hot bath, a hot cup of tea and (unfortunately) a cold. I was sadly disappointed.

I normally love the Temperance Brennan stories. I find that they are well written, with engaging characters, believable plots, and interesting forensic details. The fact that Kathy Reichs is a forensic anthropologist herself adds a layer of honesty to the writing that is often missing from mystery novels. I really appreciate that honesty and knowledge. I also love the fact that many of the stories are set in Montreal, with the corresponding French thrown in for good measure. Tabarnac!

Sadly for me, "206 Bones" fell short of my expectations. I just couldn't get into the story, and I found myself oddly unsatisfied as I was reading it. I really just wanted to get it over with. I was never able to sink myself into the world of Temperance Brennan, her on-again,off-again boyfriend Andrew Ryan, or the eponymous bones. Something just wasn't ringing true for me. I still haven't been able to put my finger on exactly what the problem was with the story, but I'll try to figure it out as I write about it.

My biggest concern was that the plot seemed unbelievable. There were far too many coincidences to be entirely plausible. I don't want to give away any details of the plot, but Brennan is being set up, four different deaths are linked - or are they? She has a mysterious enemy AND a neighbour out to get her. Are they the same person or are there two problems to be dealt with? Ooooh - the tension!

And then there is the relationship with Detective Ryan. The two of them are together, then they are apart, then together, then apart. We get it already! The two are conflicted. The backstory is becoming a little ridiculous though. Temperance is separated from her husband (has been for years) but they haven't gone through with a divorce. Do we sense that the flame may still be flickering for Temperance and Pete? But wait! Pete is engaged to the beautiful, young Summer! Should Tempe go back to Ryan? Welllll - Summer wasn't at Christmas dinner. Could there be trouble in paradise? Is Pete still in love with Temperance?

And Ryan's love life isn't any less complicated. He may be in love with Temperance, but his heroin addicted daughter has just shown up and so he feels he needs to try to make it work with the mother of said daughter. What?! His 18 year old daughter shows up and NOW he wants to make it work with his ex? Oh wait, now they are just friends and are living separately. It's beginning to read like a script for a soap opera.

Maybe Reichs is running out of original ideas; or maybe all her creative ideas are going towards the television show that has been created from the Temperance Brennan character "BONES". It's a great show, but maybe the creative juices are running a little low. All I know is that this was not the reading experience I expected. Maybe my next book will be better. I'm reading "Jane Bites Back" which is a novel about Jane Austin the vampire. I'll keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment