Saturday, February 6, 2010

Nancy, Nancy, Nancy

Hi. My name is Sarah and I'm a Nancy Drew fan. Whew. It feels good to get that off my chest. I understand that the first step to solving an addiction is admitting that you have a problem. Is there a NDA (Nancy Drew Anonymous) group anywhere? I've loved Nancy Drew since childhood. I always wanted to be in her circle of friends. It would be Nancy, Bess, George, and Sarah. Then I just needed a football playing boyfriend and it would all be great.

I've read a number of criticisms of Nancy Drew, but I don't care. I can see where the critics are coming from, but nothing has diminished my love of Nancy. I can remember reading an article in Ms. magazine about how Nancy had become less independent since her creation, and how that was a reflection on the time. According to this article, when the first Nancy Drew books were written, during the 1930s, Nancy was a highly independent young lady who managed to extricate herself from her messes on her own. By the 1950s, she was always waiting for Ned to come and rescue her. It didn't matter to me at all. I continue to love Nancy.

I read another criticism that stated that the Nancy Drew books were racist. Nancy and her father lived in River Heights, which seemed to be a completely white city. All the bad guys seemed to be "swarthy". Ok, so white is good and dark is bad. I can see where the criticism is coming from, but I still love Nancy.

I just can't stop loving Nancy. I love how each story follows a formula; I love how the danger is never too dangerous; I love how gentle the books are; I love everything about them. I, however, did NOT like the movie version of Nancy Drew. It completely ruined the stories for me. I wanted to like it; I wanted it to add to my love of all things Nancy, but I couldn't.

I have all the Nancy Drew books, and will never get rid of them. I can't wait to read them with my nieces (and hopefully my step-daughter) when they get a little older. My goal now is to own all of them in the same cover. I like the hard cover yellow books that have a small picture of Nancy with a magnifying glass on the spine. All my books are currently in my storage area because I don't have room for them in the apartment, but they will travel with me wherever I go. I will never leave my Nancy behind.


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the danger was dangerous! What was the one where she was trapped in a room with a black widow spider? Scared the proverbial out of me as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved Nancy Drew and that's going back YEARS. I think Nancy represented independence and spirit, both important qualities for girls. The books, although about adventure, felt safe; one always knew that her father, Ned and the housekeeper were around. Her relationship with Ned also demonstrated a level of independence but again was a safe and non-threatening relationship. Do girls still read Nancy Drew?

    ReplyDelete